Gift from Wilmer Harms designated for new residence hall
Tabor College Information Services
Thanks to the generosity of Wilmer Harms and his wife, the late Esther Harms, of North Newton, Kan., a new housing option will be available on the Tabor College Hillsboro campus in the fall of 2012. The Tabor College board of directors approved the building project at their board meeting held in Hillsboro, Kan., Feb. 20.
Harms, a former Tabor College student, earned degrees in medicine (1956) and ophthalmology (1968) and has practiced his entire life in the central Kansas and Harvey County area. The housing project, to be constructed at 218 S. Madison, west of Cedar Hall, will house 16 students.
Harms, a faithful supporter of Tabor College, has given regularly of his time, treasure and talents to the school. He is the founding chair of the board of the Center for Mennonite Brethren Studies (1975). He is also member emeriti of the Tabor College Board of Directors, serving on the board from 1978-1996. He has authored five books, and is also a dedicated student of Mennonite history, leading many educational tours to Russia.
This is not the first time that Tabor has been a recipient of generosity from the Harms’. They also have endowed student scholarship and have donated more than 600 volumes to the CMBS archives.
Wilmer and Ester’s son, Kevin and his wife Rebecca are also graduates of Tabor College.
“It is a wonderful tribute to the on-going relationship Wilmer and Esther have had through the decades with Tabor College,” says Ron Braun, vice president of advancement. “This housing unit comes at a time when Tabor College is experiencing record growth. Because of their generosity, more students will be able to be a part of the Tabor community.”
The facility is expected to be complete and ready for occupancy in the fall of 2012.